Students of Biomedical Engineering can submit their application for several international exchange programs offered by Politecnico di Milano, based on agreements with several partner institutions. Selected students for a specific exchange program have the chance to improve their curriculum by spending a period abroad and gaining academic credits recognised by Politecnico di Milano. Among all the available opportunities, we can recall :
- a study period abroad in Europe, under the “Erasmus” programme, typically lasting from one to two semesters;
- an “extra-EU” study period (dedicated exchange programmes);
- a “Double-Degree” programme, which allows to pursue two Master of Science degrees over a period of 3 years instead of 2, with two of them spent in a foreign partner institution;
- an internship in a foreign company or research institution;
- a thesis project developed abroad.
Useful information about the exchange programmes
Information about all the available exchange programmes, double degree projects and international internships, European research projects, and international relations are available at the following link.
You must refer to the following document (in Italian, updated in September, 2021) of the School of Industrial and Information Engineering and to the following document with the specific regulations for the students in Biomedical Engineering. At the following link you can find the information about the fellowships available for the students who intend to perform their Master Thesis in a foreign institution (two calls per academic year: the first in October and the second in March). At the following website you can find a list of the institutions available for the different exchange programmes (double degree in EU, doble degree extra UE, …). The professors who are referent for these projects are listed in the contacts page of this website.
Double degree with University of Illinois, Chicago
The double degree consists in a Master of Science in Bioengineering issued both by Politecnico di Milano and University of Illinois, Chicago. You can find specific information about this opportunity for the next academic year (2022) at the following link. This initiative has been illustrated in a presentation meeting held in May 2022, the meeting material is available at the following link.
Exchange Program with University of Strasbourg
A student exchange program with University of Strasbourg was recently activated, in particular, for the Master degree in HealthTech, a master level program focused on assisted surgery, robotics, AI and image processing. The agreement has some peculiarities despite it is considered a short term exchange program.
- the student is required to attend the entire academic year at the University of Strasbourg, the academic year consists in a semester of courses and a semester of activities for the Master thesis development and internship;
- students enrolled at the second year of Master only are admitted to this exchange program;
- a student can be admitted to this program if passed two selection processes: the internal selection of Politecnico di Milano (international mobility rankings) and the selection performed by a committee of University of Strasbourg, which evaluates CV and motivation letter of the candidates.
- at the end of the program the student can obtained a Master degree released from the University of Strasbourg
At the following link you can find the slides used at the presentation of this program, which was held at the 6th of December, 2023.
Additional informative material
The presentation of the international mobility programs held at the 29th of November 2023 was recorded and is available at the following link (you can access with the institutional credentials). The slides of the presentation are available at the following links:
-procedures and general rules for all the Master degrees in Engineering link
-specific rules for Biomedical Engineering link
-specific rules for double degree and exchange programs with the Unites States of America link